NATURAL WAYS TO IMPROVE BLOOD FLOW – NATURAL TREATMENTS FOR POOR CIRCULATION
Circulatory problems can be varied, ranging from minor symptoms and ailments to major, life endangering issues that affect the heart and brain. There are many ways to naturally improve blood flow / circulation.
Proper circulation is essential for adequate oxygen delivery to the cells, and for removal of carbon dioxide and various waste products from the body. Proper circulation depends upon the release of chemicals from ‘endothelial’ cells found on the walls of the blood vessels. These chemicals make the blood vessels dilate and constrict in order to regulate the flow of blood.
Poor circulation can lead to more serious health issues and conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease and strokes.
Circulation problems can involve such symptoms as:
– tingling and numbness (also known as Neuropathy) – fatigue – brain fog – poor memory – cold hands and feet – leg pain when walking – shortness of breath – lack of energy – irregular heart beat – hemorroids – dizziness when standing or rising quickly – swollen ankles and legs – poor and/or slow healing of wounds and bruises.
HEALTH PROBLEMS and LIFESTYLE HABITS that can lead to poor circulation:
– high blood pressure – atherosclerosis – diabetes – anaemia – blood vessel disorders – varicose veins – deep vein thrombosis – heart disorders – obesity – inactivity – smoking – cramped sitting and standing postures – extended periods of sitting or standing – poor diet
ESSENTIAL OILS TO IMPROVE BLOOD FLOW / CIRCULATION
Essential oils can be most beneficial to boost blood circulation. Excellent essential oils to use are:
– Geranium – Cardamon – Coriander seed – Ginger – Black pepper – Cypress – Frankincense – Juniper berry – Cypress – Eucalyptus – Fennel – Lemongrass – Spanish Sage – Lavender – Rose – Lemon – Thyme – Pine – Coriander – Rosemary (do NOT use Rosemary if suffering from a raised blood pressure)
ESSENTIAL OIL RECIPES
Hand and Foot Soak:
2 drops of Ginger – 2 drops of Rosemary – 2 drops of Cypress – 2 drops of Juniper
Blend the essential oils together, then add to a basin of warm water. Allow hands and/or feet to soak for up to 10 minutes.
8 drops of Thyme – 15 drops of Rosemary – 7 drops of Cypress – 50ml of base or carrier oil
Massage essential oil blend firmly but gently into the hands, feet, ankles and legs. Deep pressure is valuable in order to increase the circulation, ensuring that all movements are directed towards the heart. This increases the vital oxygen needed to keep the tissues in the extremities from deteriorating.
HERBS TO IMPROVE BLOOD FLOW / CIRCULATION
– Ginko biloba – Cayenne Pepper – Hawthorn (White thorn, Hogberry) – Ginger – Yucca – Ephedra – Cilantro – Alfalfa – Dandelion – Celery Seed – Elderflower – Prickly Ash – Stinging Nettle
– Using a mixture of dried Hawthorn flowers and leaves, place 2 teaspoons of dried Hawthorn per cup of boiling water and allow to infuse for 20 minutes. Drink 2 to 3 cups daily.
Hawthorn combines well with Lavender, Melissa, Lime Blossom, Mistletoe and Yarrow.
An excellent and potent combination to combat poor blood circulation is: Cayenne pepper, Ginger, Garlic and Ginko biloba.
FOODS TO EAT TO IMPROVE BLOOD FLOW / CIRCULATION
The food we eat has a profound effect upon the circulatory system. Eating unhealthy foods inhibits blood circulation – and healthy foods can improve it.
– a high fibre diet – fish (particularly oily fish) – nuts – garlic – onions – foods rich in ‘healthy’ fats – foods high in Vitamin B (such as beans, chilli peppers, lentils, potatoes and molasses) – pumpkin seeds – colored vegetables (red, green and yellow) – poultry and lean protein (such as chicken and turkey breast) – whole grains – legumes – oranges (for its bioflavonoid content) – watermelon (for its lycopene content) – drink plenty of water – drink lemon juice (for its citrate content)
FOODS (and DRINKS) TO AVOID
– fast foods – processed foods – refined foods – foods high in fat – foods high in sugar – foods high in salt – potatoes – pasta – white bread – rice – white flour – carbonated ‘soft’ drinks – caffeine based drinks (eg. tea and coffee) – alcohol
Limit intake of: sunflower oil – soy oil – virgin olive oil
SUPPLEMENTS TO IMPROVE BLOOD FLOW / CIRCULATION
A number of supplements have been found to be effective in restoring and boosting blood circulation. These include:
– Vitamin B Complex – Vitamin B3 (opens blood vessels on the surface of the skin) – Vitamin B6 – Vitamin C – Vitamin E – Vitamin A – Niacin and Niacinamide (helps to open the blood vessels deep in the body) – L–Arginine – Alpha-Lipoic acid – Garlic – Flavonoids – Magnesium – Zinc
EXERCISES TO IMPROVE BLOOD FLOW / CIRCULATION
Simple exercise such as walking, yoga, swimming, stretching, weight lifting and movement in general are excellent to get the blood flowing and boost blood circulation.
RELAXATION TO BOOST CIRCULATION
Relaxation is an important part of overall health and well-ness. Set aside relaxation time for yourself every day. Do not neglect yourself, as relaxation aids and heals your entire body.
There are many natural ways to improve blood flow / circulation …