Treating varicose veins naturally with the use of essential oils, herbs, homeopathy, exercise and diet can be done within the privacy of your home, and are cost effective and efficient.
The word ‘varicose’ comes from the Latin word ‘varix’, meaning ‘twisted’. ‘Varicose veins’ is a condition whereby the veins become dilated and lumpy due to incompetent valves. The superficial veins of the legs becomes affected by ‘varicosities’; distended, tortuous veins. The vein walls become thick, and nutrition and blood circulation to the legs becomes poor as a result of slow and sluggish blood flow. Weakened valves within the veins return the blood to the heart and causes congestion, particularly where the veins run close to the surface of the skin.
Symptoms of varicose veins include aching in the legs (particularly the lower legs), a heaviness, fatigue, swelling of the ankles and itchiness of the legs. In extreme cases there can be discoloration, dermatitis, cellulitis, broken capillaries and even ulceration in the lower leg. The thin vein walls can rupture causing haemorrhages. Standing or sitting for extended lengths of time can cause varicose veins, as can pressure in the abdomen (eg. pregnancy), tumours and/or a rise in blood pressure in the leg veins.
Varicose veins are incurable, but symptoms can be relieved. Treatment for varicose veins is directed towards relieving symptoms and improving the appearance.
General measures of treating varicose veins naturally include:
- elevating the legs
- no prolonged sitting or standing
- regular, gentle exercise (walking is ideal)
- weight loss and a high fibre, low fat diet.
- avoiding alcohol
- avoiding smoking
- avoid wearing clothing that may restrict blood flow
- reduce salt intake
- taking Vitamin C supplements with bio-flavonoids
- taking Vitamin E
- taking Zinc supplements
- taking Cod liver oil
- Essential fatty acids such as Omega 3 or Flaxseed oil can help to reduce the pain and inflammation associated with varicose veins.
- Elastic stockings are helpful, but bandages and tight socks cut off blood flow so avoid these.
- Dermatitis caused by varicose veins can be treated with water or saline compresses.
- Ulcers can be treated with zinc bandages.
TREATING VARICOSE VEINS NATURALLY WITH ESSENTIAL OILS
The use of essential oils is an effective way of treating varicose veins naturally. When used correctly, essential oils can have positive and therapeutic effects on the body and soul, mind and spirit.
Essential oils to use when treating varicose veins naturally are:
VARICOSE VEIN RECIPES
* Make a warm compress using:
- 2 drops of Rosemary essential oil
- 3 drops of Cypress essential oil
- 3 drops of Lemon essential oil
Blend well in a base of 20ml carrier or base oil such as Almond or Jojoba and apply regularly to the varicosed area.
* Neroli essential oil is an excellent oil to massage into areas affected by varicose veins.
Blend 5 to 6 drops of Neroli essential oil with a base or carrier oil such as Jojoba or Almond oil and massage gently into affected areas, morning and night.
* Another excellent essential oil massage blend:
- 12 drops of Cypress essential oil
- 10 drops of Lemon essential oil
- 8 drops of Rosemary essential oil
- 50 ml of Wheatgerm oil
Massage gently over affected area, and ALWAYS make upwards movements towards the direction of the heart as this is the direction the blood travels. By doing this it helps not to put any unnecessary pressure on the veins and their valves.
TREATING VARICOSE VEINS NATURALLY WITH HERBS
Many herbs are useful in treating varicose veins naturally, such as:
- Witch Hazel (for its strong astringent and tonic properties)
- Yarrow (for its astringent and tonic properties)
- Calendula (as a topical ointment)
- Tea tree (as an astringent topical oil)
- Garlic (for its ability to boost the circulatory system)
- Comfrey poultices (for its ability to boost the circulatory system)
- Echinacea (for its ability to boost the circulatory system)
- Ginseng (for its ability to boost the circulatory system)
- Rosehip (for its ability to boost the circulatory system)
- Linden flowers
- Stinging nettle poultices
- Horse Chestnut (people with kidney or liver disease, or bleeding disorders should avoid Horse Chestnut)
- Ginko biloba
- Gotu kola
- Astragalus (for its revitalizing and circulation boosting properties)
Ulcers may be helped by a combination of St John’s Wort, Calendula and Comfrey ointments.
TREATING VARICOSE VEINS NATURALLY WITH HOMEOPATHY REMEDIES and FLOWER REMEDIES
- Butcher’s Broom
- Extracts of Grape Seed
- Extracts of Pine Bark
- Extracts of White Oak Bark
- Rhus tox
- Zincum metallicum
- Magnesium phosphate
- Natrium muriaticum
- Kalium muriaticum
- Kalium sulphate
When treating varicose veins naturally, we are able to quickly and simply improve both the symptoms and the visible effects with the use of essential oils and blends, herbs, homeopathy, flower essences, diet and exercise.