Wheat Bran makes up the outermost layers of the wheat kernel, and consists mostly of fibre. It has lots of B Vitamins and protein.
1 serving size of 36 grams of toasted wheat bran contains:
Potassium: 410 milligrams
Fibre: 12 grams
Carbohydrate: 18 grams
Fat: 1 gram
Protein: 5 grams
The health benefits of wheat bran are:
– its ability to prevent and treat constipation
– its ability to improve the functioning of the bowels
– its ability to prevent colon cancer
– its ability to prevent diverticular disease
– its ability to prevent haemorrhoids
– its ability to prevent hiatus hernias
Wheat bran is very high in fibre and aids the digestion and bowel function. Bran has also been linked to lower rates of colon cancer.
Due to its high fibre content, wheat bran acts as a wonderful laxative, and as a general rule, the coarser the bran flakes, the greater the effects.